The latest audio book from the Dalai Lama: Should be required reading for everyone
A couple of nights ago, I decided to purchase the most powerful spiritual audiobook I could find; the candidates only had to be reasonably priced and fairly new – say, published in 2010 or later. It wasn’t long before I found this most recent book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama listed on the Audible website. It was a little pricey there, so I did some comparison shopping and bought it for around $17 on Amazon.
Even better, the gist of this book – that the proper way forward for all of humanity is to live according to basic universal spiritual principles, not religious fundamentalism – perfectly matches the mission of the Search for Truth blog and accurately describes the worldview of our primary contributing authors.
Executive summary of the book: His Holiness the Dalai Lama describes why religion is not a necessity in the pursuit of a genuinely spiritual life. The author stresses that the right way forward for all of humanity is fostering and enhancing the tolerance and understanding between religions, as well as between believers and non-believers; this applies to people of all faiths, religions, and spiritual paths.
So far, all each review of this book I have located so far (via Google, five reviews so far) has resulted in a five-star rating! I am expecting big things of this book. I will of course write my own review after I have thoroughly consumed this book.
This audiobook was actually given away for a short time immediately after its publishing through December 20 – and of course I had no idea. One of the sites that informed readers of this audiobook giveaway was Closet Samples, a very pink and feminine couponing/ freebie website. I proceeded to subscribe to Closet Samples so as not miss out on similar deals in the future.
I have seen the book Beyond Religion categorized in the following sections:
- Spirituality, General
Description from the publisher
A stirring call to move beyond religion for the guidance to improve human life on individual, community, and global levels—including a guided meditation practice for cultivating key human values
Ten years ago, in his best-selling Ethics for the New Millennium, His Holiness the Dalai Lama first proposed an approach to ethics based on universal rather than religious principles. Now, in Beyond Religion, the Dalai Lama, at his most compassionate and outspoken, elaborates and deepens his vision for the nonreligious way. Transcending the mere “religion wars,” he outlines a system of secular ethics that gives tolerant respect to religion—those that ground ethics in a belief in God and an afterlife, and those that understand good actions as leading to better states of existence in future lives. And yet, with the highest level of spiritual and intellectual authority, the Dalai Lama makes a claim for what he calls a third way. This is a system of secular ethics that transcends religion as a way to recognize our common humanity and so contributes to a global human community based on understanding and mutual respect.
Beyond Religion is an essential statement from the Dalai Lama, a blueprint for all those who yearn for a life of spiritual fulfillment as they work for a better world.
From News Blaze review
With the rise of secularism around the world this is becoming an ever more important question – can humans have a strong ethical system even without religion? According to many Western religions the answer has long been a resounding NO – one emphatic enough to lead to burnings and torture, but can the world continue to survive much longer with such a narrow viewpoint?
In particular this book addresses the possibility of developing a universal code of ethics which could be accepted by theistic and non-theistic religious groups as well as non-religious individuals.
I could be wrong but I would summarize the basic thesis as: “You can be human (in the higher sense) without religion but not without ethics.”
Resources: Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World, by the Dalai Lama – Amazon
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World – Dalai Lama site
- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama – Wikipedia
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World – Google Books
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World – Publisher’s Weekly
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World – Better World Books
- Learn Out Loud – Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
- Facebook page: Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
- Book Talk: Martin Sheen narrates Dalai Lama’s book – Reuters -Interview with Martin Sheen
Resources: Book reviews of Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
- Book review: ‘Beyond Religion’ by the Dalai Lama – LA Times
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for the Whole World Book Review – News Blaze
- The Dalai Lama’s latest book to hit stands today – Phayul
- Review of ‘Beyond Religion’ by the Dalai Lama – Kirkus Reviews – Excerpt: An impressive guide for teaching religious tolerance and respect to readers of all ages…
- Review of Part 1 – Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World, by the Dalai Lama – The Rambling Taoists: Examining the world around us through the lens of philosophical Taoism
- Kate’s Reviews > Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World – Excerpt: The book is very well thought out and intelligent. It is also peppered with notes, stories, and anecdotes from the Dalai Lama’s own life and from various scientific or psychological studies that support his views, which I found to be quite intriguing. I would recommend this book to anyone who really wants to evaluate their belief systems or who is just interested in ethics in society today.
- Book review: Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World – Spirituality & Practice: Resources for Spiritual Journeys
- Indie Bound
- Better Than Faith – Review: Beyond Religion – Excerpt: Because of this, rather than the preachy and unsupported religious mandates conveyed by so many religious leaders, in his book Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World, the Dalai Lama appropriately shows one of the great differences between Buddhism and most Western religions by championing good ideas because they are good, not because we have been commanded to do them. He explains why he believes that these things are good for us, for the rest of the world, and why other things are not.
- Better World Books – Review: Beyond Religion – Excerpt: A stirring call to move beyond religion for the guidance to improve human life on individual, community, and global levels–including a guided meditation practice for cultivating key human values
- Amazon reviews of Beyond Religion: Ethics for the Whole World
- Closet Samples: Free samples, deals, coupons, product reviews, and giveaways
- My Little Corner of the World – I found this little personal blog during a search for HHDL images, and I really appreciate the overall attitude and message the author conveys; it seems to agree with our premise, which is essentially, humanity will move forward more peaceably and happily as basic, universal spiritual principles gradually replace old-school, fundamentalist belief systems.
This post was started on Sunday, January 22, 2012