Background: This short list of simple instructions was created for Kevin Sizemore, who found one of our web design and development services websites and asked us how to implement a brand new website he had recently created.
Here are the basics for setting up a website you’ve built. In creating these how to implement a new website instructions, it was necessary to make certain assumptions regarding your current level of expertise.
In the event you’d prefer us to take care of this, we — Nashville SEO & Web Content — will be happy to implement your new website for only $75 + out-of-pocket costs.
[ Nashville photo by Kelly Stewart ]
- Buy a domain name at GoDaddy.com (Cost: $11/yr.)
- Buy web hosting space at Bluehost (affordable and reliable web hosting service) (Cost: $9/mo.)
- Login to your domain registrar (I use GoDaddy.com); update the name servers to point to your new web hosting account (Bluehost nameservers are
- Login to your web hosting account (Bluehost) and set up your new domain using the Domain Manager. Within an hour or two of updating this setting, the site should come up when anyone tries to visit your new domain.
- While logged in to your account at Bluehost, create an FTP (File Transfer) account so you can upload files; see the
Filessection – choose
- Use an FTP client (e.g., FileZilla – it’s free) to move the website folders & files from your local PC to the web server; here’s more information about FileZilla
- Name the file representing your home page
index.html– I prefer to use
.htm); this is the page your website visitors will automatically be shown first.
That should do it!
The list above is the simplest way I could possibly break it down and describe the steps in a reasonable amount of time. I hope this helps.
NOTE: An alternative to #3 and 4 above is to use Bluehost’s online FTP tool, called
File Manager; however, if you are going to be making updates, adding images, etc., it’s really better to go ahead and set up your own FTP account.
Please let us know if I can help. Our charges are low & reasonable.
Nashville SEO & Web Content